Monday, February 23, 2009

The Day I Said Goodbye

Autobiography Chapter 2

Recently a good friend of mine left Thailand. On the night of his departure I went to the airport to see him off and there were at least 30 other people there. The lounge where we were saying goodbye was separated from the terminal by a glass wall with a door in the middle. When it was time for my friend to leave, he walked through the door and made his way towards security. I followed him to the wall and leaned against the window watching him go. Suddenly I realized that the lounge had fallen completely silent which was weird because there were 30 loud people there. I turned around to see what was going on and saw that everyone else was standing about ten feet behind me in silence, watching me watch our friend. I just stood there and turned bright red with embarrassment. An older man that I didn't know left the group and walked over to me. He put his hand on my shoulder and said loud enough for the others to hear, "It's too late. You should have told him how you feel before he left. It's too late now." I'm pretty sure I turned even more red as my friend's mom came over and patted me on the shoulder as well. I was so confused and embarrassed! Who was the strange man telling me it was too late and why was everyone staring at me and smiling? What was going on?!!! Flustered, I tried to explain that the person who left was just a friend, but I'm pretty sure no one believed me. As the group of 30 migrated towards the exit door, several people came over, patted me on the shoulder and told me that I would be okay.

I'm still a little bit confused and I still have no idea who the man was but now I can laugh about it as well. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is never too late - tell him! :-)

Shawn Passwaters said...

wow. not awkward at ALL. if 30 people saw a sunset and the 31st person only saw a reason to put on sunglasses, then 31 people still saw a sunset. ouch. :D

Celestial Freak said...

I agree with anonymous. And I suppose posting this is a first step. I'm sure he's read this, right?