Saturday, September 01, 2007

Moments of bravery and moments of freaking out

A few minutes ago I went outside to walk Gracie (my dog) and as I was headed back across my yard I saw something scurry across the wall. Filled with dread, I decided that I needed to check it out because otherwise I would lay in bed awake for a long time wondering what was outside my window. As I got closer I realized that it was a giant spider. Some of you have heard me talk about the giant spiders before because they are terrifying. They are the size of my hand and incredibly fast. A year ago I could not get within five feet of one without feeling like I was going to pass out from fear. Here is a picture of the spider, sorry that it is not clear but I was not going to get closer for a better picture.



I grabbed a shoe, mustered up as much courage as possible and ran at the spider and killed it. It was the fastest that I have ever killed one, they usually take at least an hour. I was so proud of myself and I had a big smile on my face as I walked through my front door. Unfortunately just as I crossed the threshold, a gecko fell off the doorframe and into my shirt. I ran into my house, screaming and tore off my shirt as fast as I could, throwing the gecko across the room. Here is a picture of the gecko for you.



It is funny how often my moments of bravery are quickly followed by moments of freaking out. Apparently pride does not suit me...

No comments: